Dreamworld executives stopped spending money on repairs and maintenance in the months before a fatal accident at the Gold Coast theme park.
An inquest into the October 2016 deaths of Cindy Low, Kate Goodchild, her brother Luke Dorsett and his partner Roozi Araghi was on Monday shown minutes from an executive meeting that revealed the spending cutbacks.
The March 2016 meeting outlined monthly expenditure was $125,000 over budget on a year-to-date basis.
"Revenue is up but profit is down, cutbacks are now being enforced," the document stated.
"Repairs and maintenance spending needs to stop, only CAPEX (capital expenditure)."
Dreamworld's executive made the decision despite a newly appointed safety manager telling the Southport Coroners Court the park's safety systems were inadequate at the time of the tragedy.
Mark Thompson, who had been in the role for seven months when the tragedy occurred, said safety systems at the theme park had multiple issues including an "archaic" computer filing system and too few qualified safety staff to monitor issues.
The park had also received two extensions from Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) to ensure safety inspections were undertaken to renew Dreamworld's registration.
It was not stated in court if the inspection for the Thunder River Rapids ride had been completed at the time of the tragedy.
"The system of the safety team was not as it should have been," Mr Thompson said.
A health and safety policy for the park hadn't been updated in six years at the time of the tragedy despite Mr Thompson saying it should have been reviewed "on a three-year basis".
An external audit of safety systems in July 2015 gave the park a score of 61.6 per cent, which was a "significant improvement" on the 2014 score of 46.1 per cent.
A 75 per cent score is required for full compliance.
Barrister Matthew Hickey, representing Ms Low's family, put it to Mr Thompson the lack of policy review indicated a "complete and utter abdication of responsibility".
"Yes," Mr Thompson replied.
He added the staff he relied on were "green" when it came to dealing with safety matters and that he provided mainly a reactive and not proactive security service.
He said he hadn't been notified of past incidents on the Thunder River Rapids ride until after the tragedy.
The inquest was also shown an internal memo proposing changes to the park's first-aid policy in which advice about rafts flipping and trapping guests on the Thunder River Rapids ride was crossed out.
Mr Thompson said only two of the park's 14-strong executive safety committee had formal safety qualifications, and that at least six were needed to properly deal with workplace health and safety at Dreamworld.
He said following the tragedy the team he'd requested was hired and on the ground by January 2017.
The inquest continues on Tuesday.